View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

I'm glad this discussion of intentional fouls has come up.

I had a tough call, regarding this, in a Boys Varsity game the other night. (It's still bothering me)
Team A was up by 5pts with 23 seconds left in regulation. A1 had just got a rebound under Team B's basket after a failed 3pt shot by B1. A1 was standing facing the endline and holding the ball right in front of his body and hanging over the endline somewhat. B2 came running up hard behind A1 to obvioulsy foul him so as to stop the clock. Well the contact by B2 from behind on A1 was pretty hard...B2 might have been reaching around A1 "going for the ball" somewhat, but the contact was hard on A1's back.
There had been a couple of "not friendly fouls" (radio guy's statement) just a minute earlier in which I had told the players to "make sure they are going for the ball" when trying to "stop the clock".

Well, as the foul happened I felt my arms raising and crossing above my head...I don't know, I couldn't help it...it just happened...it felt like it was intentional.
The Coach of the team behind, Team B, and a guy that hadn't howled any all night said, "Aw C'mon Dan, that's not an intentional foul!" As I was going to report the foul I walked by the Coach and said "Coach, he hit him hard from behind". The Coach then said "that dosen't make it intentional".
I went on to report the foul without anymore conversation.

The team ahead, Team A, went on to win by 10pts...the intentional foul call certainly didn't get any complaints from them. The radio guy said the call was "questionable".

You know what...I think he was right. In this game situation I probably should have just called it a common foul...even though we all know the player was fouling his opponent to stop the clock.
This was not good game "awarness" on my part.

There I'm done beating myself up....comments?

Dude