View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 06:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jersey Shore ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He coaches at a private school, why would that even need to be discussed?
I have no idea what goes on in New Jersey.

That said, here in the Constitution State, public high school coaches have always been complaining about Catholic high schools winning a very large percentage of state championships. Public high schools draw from one town, or region of towns, or worse, from just one part of a single town. These public high schools have well defined geographic boundaries from which they can draw students. Catholic high schools, and to a lesser extent, state technical high schools, have no such geographic boundaries, and can draw students, and, of course, student athletes, from an unlimited geographic area.

New to this problem are the magnet high schools that are popping up like daisies all over Connecticut. These magnet high schools, like Catholic high schools, and technical high schools, draw their students, and student athletes, from an unlimited geographic area. We have one magnet school in our officiating area that is a Sport Sciences Magnet High School. Imagine the type of student athletes that will want to attend that school? Do you think that public high school coaches want to compete for a state championship against such a school?

Our state interscholastic sports governing body does have existing rules against recruiting students for athletic reasons, but these rules have been very difficult to enforce. Public high school coaches have wanted Catholic high schools to compete in their own state tournament division for many years (right now we have four divisions based on school enrollment size). Those suggestions have fallen on deaf ears.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 26, 2011 at 06:29pm.