View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
When I looked at the video, and F1 after the call, it appeared evident at least to me that you had warned F1 in advance. Nice work but balk warnings can be fraught with issues.

If F1 has pitched in the manner you have suggested, and it was a balk, then you have to call it. Too often I see umpires who miss the bounce use the warn to cover themselves.

If F1 has come as close as you are going to allow to missing a stop, then the warn is good for everyone imo. Others will disagree claiming that we should not instruct just call the game, runners are disadvantaged, etc.
Yes, warnings on balks can lead to other issues. Have to pick your spot, right situation, etc.... Ive done it in certain situations, and , for me, works. Its rare, but in the right spot, can be effective.

Didnt use the warn to cover anything. I understand what your saying, but you see just a few seconds of the game, of the situation. Taking in the whole picture, and what happened, it was the right sequence of events for what played out.

We all run our games the way we see best. Taking all factors in, to make our decisions. We find out what works for each of us. I dont bust it out often, but works for me.