View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 03:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Red face Seems like you are more offended by the accusation then dealing with the perception.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Rut, that is ridiculous. Should we not send black officials to rural towns that have little minority population? How about women working boys' games -- should that not happen either? Why send 50-year-olds to work these games -- I mean, aren't they way older than the players?

WE are not racists. The coach, who is looking for bias at every turn, is the racist. He is the one (along with the Sharptons and the Jacksons) who is driving a stake between the races for his own personal gain. Woe is me and my team. Waaaaah.

You like others do not even know what being racist is. It has nothing to do with just not liking someone of another race. It is a belief in superiority as a Race of People. Do not ever remember Sharpton or Jackson talking about how whites were racially inferior to Black people and saying whites did not deserve access to things that are Black. Even thought the one drop rule exsists still in this country and if a white person and a Black person have a child, 9 times out of 10 that child takes on more of the Racially Black features or skin tone than that of their white parent.

But having said that, if you want to take away the appearance of racial bias, schedule more officials of color on those games that have racial differences between the teams. If you want to erase all issues of racial impropriety or any impropriety, you should schedule officials that can be seperated from that issue. No different to me than not assigning 3 officials directly from one of the teams hometown. We can talk about that as an issue of bias and conflicts of interest, but we bring race into, everyone wants to run from this issue.

I live in a very racially segregated area. There are even suburbs where the teams are all-Black and the other team is all-white. I have been put on several of these games over the years and it always takes away the ammo from that argument. When you have 3 Black officials doing on an all-white, all-black game, you take away the preception that anything was decided on race. At least for the Black teams. And I would suspect that is not unusual anyway. I know around me, for some reason there were white and Black coaches that coach all-Black teams were complaining about the officials they were getting as it related to race. They wanted to see more Black officials on their games. And in many cases this was accomplished by hiring more African-American officials and this took away that argument of racial bias. It almost took that arugment completely away.

If you feel you are being wronged in this article, make some changes to give yourself and your association a chance to be viewed in a better light.

I can speak as an African-American official, that white coaches do not treat me the same as Black coaches. Not to suggest what you are thinking, but they do not behave the same towards me in any way. I wonder why that is? I am not alone in this assessment in my area. Many African-American officials feel the same way I do about this, because we have all had similar experiences. And when it is a racially diverse game, the dynamic chances greatly.

If you want to just pass it off as an incorrect statement, then you will be dealing with this over and over again. This coach obviously feels this way for some reason, it might have some merit, it might not. But you will never know if you act like an ostrich and put your head in the sand. Address the main concern, put more Blacks on his games. Maybe then he will not complain.

Peace