View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 05:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
From what I remember, the laws in IA were/are different than IL about wiretapping, and thus it would've been a difficult prosecution based on jurisdictions, available evidence, etc.

The whole process was started as a result of Pearl having a tape of a recruit admitting that IL offered him a specific amount of cash, and a car. How much more of a major violation can there be? This isn't accidentally speaking to a recruit on the wrong day of the week. Play the tape in a news conference and IL will be knocked back down to Division 3 status. But yet, none of that was part of the final findings. Not a single mention. Even with the NCAA's version of justice. How come?
Because Thomas was smart enough to have a plausible explanation.
or
He was proven to be telling the truth. Doesn't really matter too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Agreed, hence the same disdain for the NCAA. I believe the NCAA even said outright in their news conference that even though they couldn't prove anything, they still felt IL was guilty. If that isn't Hazzard Co.-like, I don't know what is...

Like I said, I don't remember much about it except fans shaking their car keys at Carver Hawkeye Arena and vague talk of the possibility of batteries (representing the tape recorder) being thrown on the floor if Pearl went to the game at Illinois. Hawkeye fans found the whole thing amusing. I do remember there being some question of legality regarding the tapes, too.

But I had more important things on my mind when I was 16.