View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Here's my belief about this play.

We say interference supercedes obstruction. BUT, I think we have to consider if it was the same runner; if so, THEN the obstructed runner that commits interference is out, and no longer protected.

In replaying this situation, we had an intended ruling of the lead runner being awarded home; because we believe she would have made home. It doesn't matter that she went back after being knocked down; what matters is our judgment that she would have reached home if not obstructed.

So, does the subsequent interference kill the obstruction award? I submit that you have to reconsider the timing that would have occurred absent the obstruction, if you are going to award based on "absent the obstruction". If you judge that, not only the lead runner would have scored, but would have scored BEFORE the interference, then the only fair award that negates the obstruction is to award home BEFORE the interference. And, given average runners, a runner from 2nd WOULD score before a BR would be tagged out at 2nd stretching to a double.

And, to me, that is the only fair ruling. Fix the affect of the obstruction, UNLESS the obstructed runner commits an act that supercedes THAT obstruction. But, if the obstruction caused someone to not score that should have, score the run.
I like your rule but I'm having trouble squaring it with how we call things. Doesn't this directly conflict with the direction that you have to make a decision at the time of the obstruction? Sure something might happen afterwords that changes what would have happened absent the obstruction but we generally ignore that.
If I have a runner protected home and then there's interference it's not clear whether from the rules the penalty is that the runner is out and the ball dead so as a result runners are returned to their last bases -- hence you'd still make the award. Or if the penalty is that the runner is out and all runners return to last legally touched base -- hence the award is canceled.

But in either case, I think you have to make the decision without respect to when the interference occurs relative to when you think the runner would have achieved the awarded base. R1 on second stealing, ball hit sharply to right. F5 trips the runner. On the play at 1B the runner takes out the first baseman who has the ball. In your belief the runner would have made it home easily absent being tripped but presently she hasn't even made third. But also in your belief she would not have gotten home before the interference. I can see how one justifies an award of home or second on this play, but I really can't see how you can give third by rule.
________
Depakote lawsuit

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:49pm.