View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Mike, I also see this as a change; but I think it is a good change. The old ruling didn't allow us to truly fix what the obstruction may have created in this case play. It is also now consistent with thw NFHS ruling, where consistency is always a good thing.
I don't believe it is. For starts, it is going to open up so many "what if's" for umpires that I can see a flood of using this as justification for some really absurd rulings.

Secondly, nowhere, NOWHERE in the rules is there an allowance for protecting anyone other than the OBS runner. IMO, a runner is responsible for completing their tasks. You are referring to a runner who has two coaches to direct her and has 10 strides to realize the runner in front of her is not advancing.

The previous ruling would allow the umpires to place the runners affected by the OBS as they deem appropriate without committing any violations.

I can see it now, a succeeding runner is tagged out by the defense and an umpire is going to rule that the OBS 60+ feet ahead of the runner caused her to slow down, therefore, she really isn't out.

If they are going to do this, they need to adjust other rules (for example the other thread here) which holds other runners accountable for INT calls even though affected by an OBS runner.