View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

"The only true advantage to height is being able to have better vision in the Lead position"

Only one person actually adressed this- to me, and I admit I am biased as I am 6'6", this is a huge advantage!

Obviously there are some other reasons why being tall is good, but the main thing is that I can see over many players heads or shoulders.

If we assume that I have worked hard and put myself in the correct spot I am in a stronger position then a shorter ref. I don't see how one can argue this point.

Before anyone goes off on me for arrogance or some such, let me say that I fully understand that there is much, much more to being a good ref then being tall. Experience, courage, judgement, hard work, knowledge, mechanics, foot speed and the intangibles such as presence and the ability to make people (and coaches)feel comfortable are more important.

I will also add that the experience of having played the post is helpful. I think it helps me understand what is important to the bigger players.

We all have to play the cards we are dealt, I have to haul my big body (230#)up and down the court and I have never been accused of being graceful. My running style is a work in progress. I get where I need to be, but I am trying refine my running to look better. Shorter people are often more graceful.