View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Good morning David, I was responding to Durham.

Quote:
I always ask my partner what he needs from me and then I provide it for him. If he wants what I have I give it to him, if he needs to change a call I bite the bullet for him, if he is coming to me to appease the coach I help him with that. We may talk in the post game, but on the field I provide as much support as possible. I may need it one day!
Maybe I am reading this wrong - the internet limits clarity. I read, "...if he needs to change a call I bite the bullet for him,..." as a partner allowing another umpire to thrust the burden of making the call on myself. I also see it as changing a call and pretending that you got advice from your partner when that is not true. If the umpire made a hasty call, has doubt but I didn't see the play, I will not change the call for him and won't allow him to do it. That is not what conferring is supposed to be about. Ask me what I have and if I cannot offer a better look, the original call stands.

If Durham means something different, my apologies. I have written things that others misconstrue and have had to clarify later. His other posts seems to indicate that he knows what he is doing out there, so I suspect this is just one of those things.

Enjoy your season!