Thread: Lessons Learned
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2000, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Talking What I learned

My mentor, Millard Bates, taught me long ago to see and understand what is going on in the field of play.

Seldom am I ever 'surprised' by activities that happen during my games. From being ready for a steal ('well Tee, this is where they should steal, they usually steal and you know it')to seeing 'Bean Ball' wars starting to develop.

Game control is what separates good umpires from great umpires. Understanding what the teams are trying to do, understanding that coaches (the only thing I hate Al McGuire for) "Work the Refs!" and knowing what will happen before it happens.

Quick case in point . . . the plate umpire, even before the catcher, knows when a pitcher is done and should be replaced. Because we are simple judges of rules and decisions we are not emotionally involved. When a pitcher becomes 'dead meat' we know and we prepare for the outcome . . . more hits, potentially more runs, and certainly more activity.

Seeing all and knowing all is the most important thing I have ever learned from another umpire.