Thread: Lessons Learned
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2000, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Nice topic. I too learned many things. One of them - Sending Messages - I made a thread on altogether.

Basically, what I have "taken to the bank" (ok Baretta) from a veteran umpire is this. Do not look for satisfaction out there. If no-one says anything - We did our job. We are not there to determine the outcome but merely enforce the rules to the best of our ability and do not go looking for trouble.

Some umpires for whatever reason want to make that crucial call and be recognized. This is the furthest thing from the truth. People do not come to the ballpark (except us of coarse) to watch the umpires. Yes, we are going to have to make some crucial calls out there, but as my mentor told me "Do not look for them, let them come to you".

We have the training, when the situation presents itself make the call but again do not go looking for something.

One other "big" lesson I learned is not to play "God" out there and have this chip on my shoulder. Some guys think once they are dressed in Blue - they know everything and have this unapproachable attitude.

Pete Booth