View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 08:04pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I do believe in pitching inside and will try and have the boys work on that. My greatest concern with all this is if the batter is leaning over the plate and gets hit, that he'll be awarded 1st on a hit by pitch. Guess I need to get over that.
A few comments.

1) It is guaranteed that you will get a HBP especially at your age level of competition. Few PUs who officiate that ball have either the skills, ruleset knowledge or cahoonas to make the correct call.

2) The Georgia leagues are notorious for this behavior. It's part of an overall batting system (see below) that has worked well for many national level teams.

3) Pitching inside with B crowding the plate is problematic. Even if you get the ball under the hands, these batters are often taught to take it for the team, to turn quickly without stride. Even when successful, you have the infamous metal bat handle hit.

4) Unless your Ps are highly skilled or can run a fastball up into the hands, you're going to find pitching inside a tough approach to command.