Thread: Oh what fun
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2000, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: NFHS

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
As I read the scenario, the ball bounced off the defender's head and went through the hoop, untouched by any other player. Given that, it is not a try nor tip (i.e., shot). So, the ball becomes dead at the whistle and the "basket" never happened.

Since there is no team posession, the next throw-in will be determined by the A/P, which I think you meant to say was team B, the defense. Put 1 second back on the clock and have team B inbound the ball near the pile-up.

There is no next throw-in. The game is over. Under NF rules, you have to allow the clock operator one second to stop the clock. You can't put one second back on the clock. If he was unable to stop the clock before the horn sounded, the game is over.

5.10.1B Comment
Timing mistakes which may be corrected are limited to those which result from the timer's neglect to stop or start the clock as specified by the rules. The rules do not permit the referee to make allowance for normal reaction time of the timer which results in a "lag" in stopping the clock. By interpretation, "lag or reaction" time is limited to one second when the official's signal is heard and/or seen clearly. One second or the "reaction" time is interpreted to have elapsed from the time the signal was made until the official glanced at the clock.

Quote:

The odd thing here is hold your whistle and team A wins. Blow the whistle and team B wins. Not the place a referee wants to find themself.
Team A would win if the ball entered the basket before the horn. But if the horn sounded while the ball was in flight, it would be dead since it was not a try or a tap and Team B would win.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Nov 13th, 2000 at 11:30 PM]