View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not talking about the case play in question. I am talking about the people that want to find a situation that means a player that goes to the floor is a foul.
I'm not one of those, so we agree.

Quote:
LGP is not the only way we determine a foul. If a dribbler pushes off on a defender and displaces that defender, I do not care whether they are in LGP at the time of the contact. That is a guide to let us call a foul when contact takes place, but does not apply across the board on all kinds of plays or absolve the ball handler of being the cause of contact.
We still agree. So far, so good.

Quote:
And I still call hand-checking when there is displacement and a player is put at a disadvantage. I do not call hand-checking and never will for a defender simply putting their hand on the ball handler. Oh, and the POEs almost never talk about the other rules that apply with incidental contact, but never change the rules to those rules. Actually I use the RSBQ philosophy to call hand-checking and anytime a player puts their hand on the dribbler that will get special attention, but not an automatic every time that action happens. And for the record I call a lot of hand-checking fouls as I use the RSBQ philosophy.
We may disagree slightly, but not by much.

Quote:
Again, this might be OK in certain games, but if you do this in others you will not work.
Bingo. Here is the heart of my question(s):

Why not? Who gets to determine what philosophies work in certain games, but do not in others, under the same rules? I'm not talking about NFHS vs. NCAA, or girls vs. boys, but the philosophy that, perhaps, the contact as shown in the video might be a foul in a small school boys' game, but would be expected to be a no-call in a large-school game. Again, I'm not saying your statement above is wrong; I actually agree that it is probably true. But why wouldn't we strive to have the same philosophies at all levels within a particular rule set?

(Used with permission.)