View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to BktBallRef (Tony) for his annual quiz(s). Tony you do an outstanding job with the questions and answers. Everyone, especially the rookies, are sure to learn from these test.

Now---I have always had a problem with the generally accepted answer to the following:::Question #6 on BktBallRef's Quiz---Backcourt Violation or Not.

A1 is straddling the division line, with his right foot in the FC his left foot in the BC. A1 catches the pass, fumbles it, then immediately starts to dribble the ball in the FC while still straddling the division line. Is this a BC vioation. IAABO and BktBallRef's answer is False.

Rule 4, Section 21---A fumble is accidental loss of PLAYER CONTROL when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player's grasp.

When A1 fumbled the ball into the frontcourt (player control ended) the ball now has frontcourt status and in team A control. If the ball is loose (free-with no player control) in the frontcourt, then the ball has obtained frontcourt status--while still in team A's control. I fail to see how this can be disputed. The fact that A1 now starts to dribble the ball, does not now change the ball to backcourt status, without a violation.

In Question #1 of the same test, it is admitted that "when the ball hit the floor in the FC, FC status was attained". If this is true, then why does the beginning of a dribble now put the ball into the backcourt, still in control of team A without a violation.

If I may take the liberty to re-word the question and leave out some of the impertinent words:::A1 fumbles the pass from A2 while standing in the backcourt. The ball rolls into the frontcourt and remains there for 10-seconds bouncing. A1 without crossing the division line is able to reach the ball and start a dribble. Violation or Not ??

Again, the ball has achieved frontcourt status, and the fact that the next touching was the beginning of a dribble or to pick-it-up, to me is irrelevant.

I know the first thing I am going to hear is the "3-point rule-both feet and the ball". But would someone explain to me why if the ball has frontcourt status in team A's frontcourt, the ball can then return to team A's backcourt still in team A's control without it being a violation?

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I just can't see how the ball can have frontcourt status, then simply by beginning (not continuing) a dribble while standing in the backcourt now "CHANGES" the ball from frontcourt status to backcourt status.

Hope everyone has a good game tonight and an enjoyable week-end.