View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 13, 2000, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question

This is a question that I want honest feedback! Since becoming a basketball official,I was taught to get to your games early,have a pre-game with your partner,and be on the court 15 minutes before the start of the game. Now getting to the game on time is no problem,Being on the court 15 minutes before the game is no problem,Yet sometimes having a pre-game with my partner(s)seems to be where the problem usually comes in,Let me explain.Most veteran officials I work with I often like to let them lead the pre-game.And alot of times they like to give it right back to me,As to say you are the rookie,you take it! So now it's left up to me to lead the pre-game.Usually I feel like they don't usually do pre-games unless it is a big game!So now here I go starting the pre-game and it's sometimes like pulling teeth,to get my partner(s)undevided attention.So I'm often left with this feeling,Does any one really take the pre-game conference seriously? Now when I'm with a newer official they seem to be more excited about having a pre-game conference.As officials what kind of message are we trying to send! Now I know how to have a pre-game with myself before a game,But as officials less try to be more on the same page before the game starts.And usually that begins with a thorough pre-game.