Thread: handchecking
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 13, 2000, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vhslref
This year they are giving the defender one-touch to size-up or measure-up the offense. (This is in a non-dribbling situation.) Once the offense has begin to dribble, any hand that is on the dribbler for more than two dribbles should be called. On post-play: the defense may use a forearm on the offense, but they must have palm down or closed fist. Two of anything ( arm and leg or knee, two hands) must be called.
There is a difference, really, between the men's and women's games. While the men's game may permit at least some discretion and "preventative" efforts by the officials, the women's game is much less tolerant. The guidelines are spelled out so specifically, that there is little to no room left for discretion: either there was a handcheck, or there wasn't. After the initial "measuring for distance," there can be no open hand placed on the ball-handler/dribbler. However, an occasional FOREARM is permitted, as long as it is not sustained. The guidelines are equally spelled out re: post play. And, BTW, as of this year the defensive post player MAY have a leg AND an arm or hand on the offensive player--but not two hands, forearms, or one of each. I'm not real thrilled with that degree of specificity, but that's how they want the game called. And believe me, that's how it IS being called, from what I've seen.