View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Ok...you want to get a discussion going?

I've read some posts here that say, "A foul in the first quarter, is a foul in the fourth quarter!"

If you are a "newbie", probably a good idea to go with that philosophy.
If you have a pretty good idea about the game of basketball and how to manage it...a foul at the start of the game might not necessarily be a foul at the end of the game.

An example:
Player A1 goes up for a shot, in the first minute of the game, and you have B1 with a pretty good slap on the wrist...ball goes in, TWEET! Bucket good 1 shot.
Now it is at the end of the game...one minute left, 30 pt blowout...A1 with the lead, goes up for a shot, B1 with a pretty good slap on the wrist...ball goes in...Have the courage to LET IT GO!

Now where in the world would I get that sort of philosophy?

Stu Gorsky's camp in Bellingham, WA...Dave Libby, NCAA Final Four Official...call it how you want, but this guy didn't get where he's at by being silly.

Dude

Nine times out of ten I wouldn't call that foul in the first minute. Ball went in and his speed/balance/momentum weren't affected, then we play on. And I assumed that we all understood that when we said call it the same in the last few mins as you do in the first few, that it is a tight game.

Example: I had two rival teams last Friday, four point game and green is ahead (both are in double bonus). White shoots a 3, misses and W11 pushes G54 to get a perfect rebound. I call the foul with only 11 seconds left to go in the game and Green makes both free throws to clench the win.

My two sense!