View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 05:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
1) No, I don't believe he was... I think he's aware of it, but I suppose that call isn't made very often, and when it is, everyone who doesn't know the rule stops for a second and replays it in their mind and decides that the call should be a block, because the defender was airborne...

I think in general, the coaches will acknowledge verticality when it takes the form of their defender standing and holding his/her arms straight up. It totally throws them for a loss when the defender becomes airborne, and I guarantee that if I make that call and their guy is on defense, the HC or AC will turn to the next coach in line and snicker "boy he screwed up that call didn't he? I mean our guy was way up in the air! Hee Hee!"

Like I said in my post, I have no idea why the defender jumped in the air, but he did and I'm pretty sure if I blew the call and called a block because I wasn't expecting him to jump, nobody would have said boo...
Regarding the highlighted sentences, from an official's standpoint who gives a damn what "everyone" or any coach thinks? Or if anbody says boo? The important part is that you knew the rule and you made the correct call. That's all that really matters.