Thread: End of game
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 02:47pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, the fact is, that the closer to the end of the game, the more scrutiny there is on the players, the coaches and the officials.
No question. I submit, though, that it has a lot to do with what most people can take in. If you were to take a step back and analyze the totality of a close game, wouldn't you likely find a number of things that could have affected its outcome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Are you going to suggest a team plays the same in the last minute with a 2 point lead as they do when down by 2 points? Or even when they're tied?
Of course not! How did you connect those dots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Talk all you want about FTs missed and layups missed (and they aren't irrelevant), but let's not pretend a mistake with 2 minutes left is the same as a mistake with 2 seconds remaining.
I'm not talking about the blame game here.

My point is that, in a close game, our actions always affect the outcome. The belief that officials shouldn't affect the outcome is unrealistic, and it usually comes from what people can remember. People typically move on from something you kicked earlier in the game, but when you analyze a game objectively, what you do indeed plays a role, whether people remember it or not.