View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
In 5 to 10 years, it won't matter what NFHS thinks.

For several reason, some blatantly political and OT on this thread, the absolute top athletes in most sports will migrate to club teams, AAU teams, or Prep Schools, and they will play for the HS age, or under 19 yr. old National title, flushed with money from ESPN or FOX SPORTS.

The state associations will running state championships for second tier athletes and schools, except for FB, and that will change over time too. State associations, and even some sports like Wrestling or Golf will disappear from the HS sports scene entirely.

As we sink into a -POS European Social Democracy, our sports landscape will change into one modeling Europe too, where the top rich or perceived most talented people will get all the $$$, all the funding, and all the exposure. they will be fed into top colleges, or the college system will be replaced by a new Farm system like MLB has now.

Or, we will end up like China, where the Party picks and chooses those who show some aptitude for a game, sport or activity, and they will be schooled in that activity.

Pretty ugly ending for a system that served us, and children, well for a long, long time.
I agree with some of what you've posted.

I agree that in another 10-20 years all the top basketball talent will be playing at private and prep schools. The private schools in my area had varsity teams with middle school talent just 5 or so years ago. Now, those same schools are recruiting and hiring quality coaches as opposed to just giving the job to someone on staff. Many have ties with AAU and are "bringing in" top talent. (And that's a whole other issue.)

I don't see the same thing happening in other sports as quickly as in basketball. Football is far to expensive to experience the rapid growth we've seen in private/prep school basketball. Baseball and softball have always had summer venues that were available to lids. It hasn't stopped them from playing school ball. Wrestling clubs are getting bigger but they've helped scholastic wrestling in our area.

Finally, this decision wasn't made by a few guys sitting in an office in Indianapolis. The vote was made by the state association members who comprise the NFHS. No, HS sports is alive and well. There maybe some bumps down the road but it's not going away.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith