View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. That's pretty much what I'd say, but rather than "I didn't look into it" it would be, "I know I had no authority to question him on the court, but I'm pretty sure he was lying."
2. If it goes anywhere is not my concern. If this coach is that duplicitous, it'll catch up with him in time. Even if it doesn't, still not my concern. My job is to follow the rules and (maybe) report suspicions to the state where appropriate.
3. What Berkut did could have gotten him sued, and righfully so, if the player was truly injured. "Sorry, coach, I don't think your player is injured. He has to shoot." Now imagine a very likely scenario with a rebound situation and that player has his injury aggravated.

Not only do you have no rule basis for doing this, you're just setting yourself up for heartache by even going down that road.

Also, by doing what he did, now what does he tell the state? "Yeah, I ignored the rules here and told the coach he couldn't pull his injured player." If he reports the coach, then he admits to the state that he risked the player's health. Over the top? Not really, because even if he judged the risk to be small, that's what he did.

Now, maybe if the coach had pressed the issue, he would have caved and allowed the sub.

Bottom line, though, Berkut got away with one here. And no matter how positive he was about it, it's a very dangerous road to condone the decision in a public forum with new officials who may not possess Berkut's enlightened wisdom and medical expertise.
This is pretty much the conclusion I came to after the game. I was pretty comfortable doing it during the game, with no time to think about it, but in retrospect it was a mistake.

Who am I to say if a kid is injured?

On the other hand...it is pretty galling to let it happen, when I am pretty much positive he was full of ****.

I think the only other thing I could have done would be to ratchet up the pressure on the coach a little bit, *without* saying his player must shoot - ie, ask the player to come over, ask HIM if he is hurt, generally make a bigger deal of it and see if the coach just backs down, without ever saying the player cannot be subbed for?

I dunno, it was certainly one of those "Well, never been faced with THIS situation before..." kind of things. Going to send an email to my interpreter though.