View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
My first season is in the books and I really enjoyed it and learned a lot but realize how much I DON"T KNOW!

A big thanks to all the fellow refs on this sight who REALLY GUIDED me thru the season on rules and mechanics...I Learned a whole lot.

Truth be told, I got more guidance and advice on being a better ref from the folks on this blog than from those in my association...sad to say they all seem to be "Too Busy" and focused on themselves
I'm on the other side of that coin. I truly enjoy helping the newer officials by passing on what I've been taught over the last 30+ years. I had a mentor take me under his wing, now it's my turn, and I get a kick out of it.

Do you ask for help? Too many new officials seem to already "know it all" and don't want advice, so I don't offer unless asked. If a varsity official goes out of his/her way to introduce themselves and make conversation with you, there's a good bet they can be approached for advice. Approaching varsity officials who virtually ignore jv officials probably won't get you anywhere.

Last year I arrived early in the first half of a jv game. At half time I went into the locker room with the jv officials, where we had a nice short discussion. There was enough interest from the one that I took paper and pencil out for the second half and jotted down some notes. I went over them with the jv official before going out for my game. He stuck around to watch the first half, then joined us at our half time and questioned a few things he saw. That was fun. Unfortunately it happens far too seldom.