View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 09:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

A foul is contact that puts a player at a disadvantage not intended by the rules.

A player turning with the ball 70 feet away from the basket and heaving up a ball that will likely not reach the free throw line will not draw a foul in the first minute or the last. It is not the referee's job to bail out a player or team.

We simply don't talk about this play in the first minute because nobody attempts a 70 foot "shot" in the first minute.

I'm sorry if this is offensive to some, but effective game management dictates how a game is called. At the end of the game I will not hesitate to call a foul (I've called fouls where the lane was cleared with the FT deciding the outcome), but I will make sure it is a GOOD foul. Just as I would in the beginning of the game.

A team gets a rebound with .9 seconds left turns and heaves. There's contact. Calling a foul bails the team out IMO. I think you could get away with such a call at lower levels, but make this call at the varsity level? I couldn't imagine it.

Rich