View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
My evaluations from coaches are generally positive. When there is a negative comment made it often is in the category of Consistent Judgement. I'm wondering a couple of things. Should I pay much attention to this, given it is from a coaches perspective? If consistency IS a problem in my calls/no calls, how do I improve on it? Do other officials get more comments about this than in other areas? That should be a good start.
That's good feedback for you to have. Two things to consider:

1. Not being consistent can mean that you call the same types of plays different ways. Coaches and players want to know how you are going to call the game. What you call a block or a handcheck needs to be the same for both teams and at all points in the game. Veterans are perceived as consistent, more often that newer guys, because even if coaches disagree with your style/philosophy, they know what you are going to do. Familiarity, combined with an individual consistency, leads to credibility. Coaches (and partners) like known quantities.

2. Not being consistent means that you have more calls that do not seem to fit the game than others. Again, in the hypothetical world, you call what you see, perceptions be damned. It the real world of officiating, whistles should fit into the game as often as possible. There are times when they don't, either by us making mistakes or it just has to be done, but the guys who are perceived as consistent generally stay away from routinely making these calls that draw negative attention.

How do you improve them? Be self-aware, question yourself after each game, get honest feedback from partners/mentors, and watch film when possible.