View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I have a personal rule that I won't work any youth ball around here where they pay the plate umpire more than the base umpire.

When someone calls and tells me they need me to work the plate, I'll specifically ask what the base umpire is paid and I've turned down games because of this.
I won't disagree with you in principle, because any ump worth his salt knows neither is more important than the other. However, as they say, that's just the way it is and always has been in these parts. Doesn't make it right, it just makes it so. The justification is "the plate ump has to wear all that gear."

So, I either A) accept the policy, 2) don't umpire HS ball here, or D) move somewhere else. I chose A, since my job requires me to live here and doesn't allow me the freedom to exclusively do college ball (all varsity games here are night games which works great for me).

Now, for any other ball I do, mainly Senior League and American Legion, the pay is the same for either ump.