View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 05:31pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
This question was being kicked around in our association....curious for feedback here. NFHS.

How can a team be granted a time out during a live ball without any type of control. I think we will agree that the ball has to become dead for some period in there in order for the correctable error system to work. But how is this really any different than any other situation where the ball is live but there is no team control and therefore no time out allowed? (Interrupted Dribble, Shot Attempt, Jump Ball, etc etc)

They can't...but this isn't a live ball - as soon as it went thru the net, it became dead...

So....here are questions for discussion:

When does the ball become dead?

Already answered...

Is there enough dead ball time here to make any personal foul technical (by the rule not considering our game management practices which make a tech here unlikely)? I'm talking basketball fouls here not A5 telling you "your mother wears army boots".

Sure...but again, use some common sense...

When does the ball become back alive?

When it's "at the disposal" - a good rule of thumb is that if they don't pick it up right away, it's live when I start my count...combine that idea with the common sense answer above, and you can see how to get out of calling a T for a foul during this scenario...

Why can A call time out without team control during this live ball sitch?
Because it's not a live ball sitch...

Is this one of those situations where the answer is: BECAUSE NFHS SEZ SO!!!

Nope...

Are you dizzy from thinking about this yet?

Nope...

Ok Old Dawgs....have at it.

Am I an old dawg?? And btw: congrats on passing your tests!!