View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Call me a T.O. checker. I will say that it is easier to do in 3 person crew then 2 but it was something that was drilled in my head early on in my officiating career. It seems counter-intuitive that we are talking about how we deal with coaches during every other part of the game when they are doing what they shouldn't be doing, yet when they are doing something they are by rule allowed to do, some are saying we should ignore them b/c there is too much happening ON the court.
And the point that it is a coach's responsibility to get the officials attention that they want a T.O. would seem to cover this coach running down onto the court to do just that. If the officials aren't looking, what are the supposed to do in a loud, cramped gym?
Have a player call the TO, of course.

I don't think there is any debate that good officiating demands that an official be aware of typical TO situations, and pay a little more attention to see if a coach wants one.

However, the TO request is just that - a request. While good officials will be cognizant that the request might be coming, good coaching will realize that there are situations where you might not be able to get the officials attention as quickly as you like, and it behooves you to train your team what to do in those situations. Whether that be a loud gym in a critical moment where the officials are dialed in on the play, or just poor or inexperienced officials who may not be paying attention.