View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Some of us are just a little slow. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Of course they're not equivalent. The point is that the game went on without awarding merited free throws. You can erroneously skip free throws and do almost anything: free throws for some other foul, a throw-in, an AP throw-in, end a period, etc.

For NFHS look at 2.10.1 situations. You'll see that failure to award merited free throws happens when play goes on in some manner other than awarding the merited free throws. What else would constitute "failure to award merited free throws?" It's an omission.

I'm a little puzzled about why people have trouble understanding this point.
I think it's because when we think of failing to award merited free throws, most people think of a situation where we miss the fact that a team is in the bonus and award a throw-in instead. When they have in their mind that Team A is entitled to a free throw, and they simply don't award it in the correct order, some folks don't see that as a failure to award. I understand the argument, however, and I agree. Whenever we continue the game (whether by throw-in, free throw, or whatever) without having awarded free throws that were merited, we have a CE. I get it.