View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

I'm amazed that you got the players to wait at the reporting area until beckoned in at that level! As you progress you'll notice that not only do the abilities of the players get better, so does the coaching. At JH level, most coaches know very little about the game much less the rules. As you progress you will also learn what battles are worth fighting. This is not one of them. The big difference between a veteran and a rookie isn't the rule knowledge, it's knowing how/when to enforce them. Don't spend too much time worrying about subs, shirts tucked, etc. Don't you have enough to worry about like which foot is the pivot, does the defender have legal position, who's the shooter, etc.? If you look for problems, you'll be sure to find them, but then all you do is rethink the situation over and over in your mind all the way home and while trying to sleep at night. Every game is a learning experience. Treat it as such. Knowing that, what will you do the next time? I'd let them in. Now if it continues and needlessly delays the game, make it known to both coaches that all subs must be ready or they'll wait until the next opportunity to sub. As for the varsity official at the table, he should know better. If he has a power trip going when he's the scorer, he must be a real joy when he's working. I'd have some smart@ss comment for him, but hey, that's me. Try going to one of his games and be the "Fan from Hell" and see how he likes it.

Mregor