View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Can't remember where I heard or read all this but it was sometime last fall or late summer.
I've long been impressed by the fashion industry and their ability to generate continual revenue by simply declaring that something "different" was better than what everyone already had. Not selling enough skirts, raise (or lower) the hem line several inches and tell everyone who has a closet full of the old hem line, that anything NOT with the new hem line is "out of style".

It's always worked with women, and has been successful with young males, who spend more on cologne, bath wash, hair gel in a month than their fathers did in a decade. I can remember when a pair of canvass Keds enabled people to play basketball, jog, walk, climb, play and be comfortable all in the same pair of sneakers.

Soon we'll be able to replace all our white knickers with black pants with white stripes. Of course changing the width of the stripes will enable the fashion gurus to dictate changing everyone's inventory periodically. For a while we'll have different fabrics for different weather conditions, until eventually the idea of winter undergarments comes full circle. Strange that these new miracle fibers (stain resistant, water proof, wind resistance, etc.) only presently come in black?

Maybe some day they figure out how to make them in white, and maybe even different shapes, like knickers (to more clearly differentiate officials from the other people on the playing field). These fashion people may be a lot of things, but they absolutely aren't dumb. I guess the marketplace has changed, used to be officials didn't spend a lot of time worrying about how fashionable they might have looked. I wonder if anybody, other than other officials, pays any attention to the width of the stripes or the color of the pants (or knickers). No matter, other officials are the only ones the fashion industry has to convince.