View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 07:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
I find these boards very helpful for a young official like myself, so I'd like to contribute a situation from my game last night and what I learned from it.

3-person crew, B-JV.
In the second half I was the L during a play where there was a loose ball in the corner of the front court between myself and the T. I went out to call the direction even though it wasn't my sideline (it was the Trail's sideline). I called Home ball, and he came in to correct me, so I changed the direction to Visitors.
That was my first mistake. Call your own lines on out of bounds. I was right to follow the play to the corner watching for any contact/fouls. I should not have blown my whistle and called a direction.

There's more...
Late second half, close ball game, I called a foul on the Home defender (plowed through a screen). I accidentally punched (indicating an offensive foul) and had to reverse myself again. I reported the foul on Home and proceeded to get an earful from their coach.

Not done...
As he turned away from me I heard some inexcusable language and T'd him.

Still...
At the next timeout I was on the block when a fan walked down the baseline and made a semi-racist comment about black history month and the Home coach (who is black). He obviously disagreed with my T. I've thought about booting him from the gym since then, but I'm not sure if I would given the chance to do it again.

In the locker room...
My mentor, who came to watch me, opens my eyes to what went wrong. I'm convinced that had I not poached the out of bounds call (later reversed), and didn't make the wrong preliminary signal (later reversed) on that foul, I wouldn't have arrived at the situation where the Home coach got T'd. I realize everyone is responsible for their own actions, but as an official, if I can avoid situations like that by being on top of my game then that's the best possible outcome.

Questions/comments/feedback/anything is welcome.
Kick the fan out. As for the others, no big deal. Just be more aware and you'll be fine.