View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I don't see a correct answer. Obstructed runner being played upon advances one base, ball is dead and all other runners are awarded the base they would have achieved, absent the dead ball. Since R3 was thrown out at home it is not likely he would have achieved home so he should not be awarded home, he should be returned to 3b since the ball was dead when the out was made. C is closest answer but don't seem right to me.

Can't see an out after a dead ball, and hard to see R3 awarded home since he can't reasonably be expected to have achieved it absent the obstruction. I am assuming that R3 did not pull up and stop running when type 1 obstruction was called and that was reason for him being thrown out, in which case C is surely correct.

In any event C is best answer of the ones provided.
This is a HTBT type of play, but imagine this. R1 is obstructed and tagged out, this then allows the fielder to throw home and get R3 before he can score. I am not going to assume that he would have scored, but if he is about half way when obs occurs, I am gonna score him based on common sense and fair play. Who screwed up? I am not gonna then bail them out on anything where the offense had a chance to score. The OP doesn't tell us how close the play was at the plate. I also want to know why it wasn't killed when type 1 took place.