Thread: Multiple fouls
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Weelllll,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
IF you are an official that wants to advance consider the following:

1) The NTSB has determined through extensive testing that the human brain cannot determine the order of events that happen in .04 of a second or less.

2) When "multiple fouls" occur it would seem that it would be highly unlikely that they would occur at exactly the same instant.

3) Since the brain cannot make a determination of the order, you do not know if they were actually happening a the same exact instant of not, so

4) The first foul has ended the possibilty of an additional foul to occur, therefore any foul after the first recognized foul would be incidental and not called.

5) It is "highly unlikely" that multiple fouls can occur and even more rare that it could be determined to be called.

6) Therefore it is literally impossible to have a situation where a multiple foul actually occurred.

In closing, pick your battles and NEVER call a multiple foul. The call will set your career back if it is seen by any person of power (including your partner when he tells the story over a cold adult beverage at the next official's non-sanctioned get together).
I agree (in intent) with nearly everything you've said.

However, the multiple foul is defined as "approximately the same time" not "exactly the same instant" so the points about not being able to tell which happened first are not relevant.

Regarding (4) The first foul may not end the possibility of an additional foul if the fouls are by the defense and a player is in the act of shooting or if the fouls are by either team and a try is in flight. In each case, the ball remains live until the try ends and personal fouls may still occur.

Still, I agree with your premise that they should be EXTREMELY rare. But, I'd bet there has been at least one real case where it was a justfied and correct call to make. It's there just in case something really goofy happens and both players deserve a penalty (flagrant).