Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
From the Summary of Penalties for Fouls:

6. Multiple Foul:
a. One free throw for each foul:
(1) No try involved.
(2) Successful or unsuccessful two-point try or tap.
(3) Successful three-point try or tap.
b. Two free throws for each foul:
(1) Intentional or flagrant foul.
(2) Unsuccessful three-point try or tap.
Plus ball for throw-in if intentional or flagrant.

So you have it partially right, but there are many different scenarios. Suffice to say that multiple fouls by themselves are uncommon. With that in mind, a) is probaly more common than b0. To meet the criteria for b) would be the least likely scenario, but would result in two FTs.

As for common fouls, I have always assumed that the penalty listed also implied that a team was in the bonus. Can't see giving FTs when under 7 fouls.
Actually, a multiple is NOT a common foul. A player will get shots for a multiple foul no matter how many there are. The bonus only applies to common fouls.

The penalty listed is for each foul of a multiple foul. In your (b), they would get at least 4 FTs (2 for each of the fouls in the multiple foul). It's possible that there could be a mix of (a) and (b) if one of the multiple was intentional but the other was not.

That said, I've never called a multiple and doubt I ever will. Still, I'm all for it being in the rule book and knowing it is there just in case some clowns decide to gang foul their opponent in such a way that it is clearly not part of the game. For examlple, A1 and A2 (for reasons outside the game), during a live ball, deliberately and viciously foul B1...both of which are flagrant in nature. You need to penalize both A1 and A2. You now have a multiple foul.