View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 04:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: Stopping the clock

Quote:
Originally posted by coachmac43
Obviously, I'm surprised at what I'm hearing.

This was a Freshman girls game also. The young lady was poked in the eye as we made a basket. (not the shooter) She immediately bent over and covered her face. I asked immediately about the injury and the officials went ahead and let the other team inbound the ball and go run offense. The injured player stayed at the other end with her face covered. Aren't games stopped to tuck a shirt in or tie a shoe? Isn't an injury more important than that?
A couple of thoughts here.
Immediately after a made basket? I'd stop it if I saw it before the ball was inbounded. If the ball's in play before I notice it? Sorry.
By the way, I won't stop a game to tuck a shirt. Address it during a dead ball. Shoe laces? Same thing. I'll delay a throw-in for a shoe lace. I figure if I have to wait for a dead ball to retie my shoes, so do the players. (^:

If we allowed for non-safety injury timeouts for defensive players, it opens a whole lot of loopholes for coaches to get subs in when they wouldn't be able to otherwise. Especially late in a close game.

Sorry, coach,

snaqs