View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

I've had a few guys tell me they were really happy with the lightweight Diamond mask- once they got rid of the wimpy pads and replaced them with heavier Wilson leather pads!

But those were baseball umpires who may very well see ball speeds 20+ miles per hour faster than you see in fastpitch.

The other issue I've seen discussed with some of the lightweight masks is that they have a "lower" profile- that is, a less curved front so that the mask is slightly flatter and less rounded. This is done to kep the bars closer to your face, thus opening up a wider field of vision. The concern is that the "flatter" profile is less able to deflect forces from the ball away from your face. instead of taking a "glancing" blow and deflecting it, more of the force from the hit is directed into the mask- and, in turn, your head.

Still, I'm intrigued by these new models that are so light they feel like a feather. I have used a lightweight Wilson for several years that, while lighter than the standard masks, is still heavier than these new lightweight models.

I didn't know that Under Armor was making umpire gear (I just saw my first UA catcher gear in an indoor game last weekend). I would imagine that many of these masks may be manufactured by the same supplier, then branded with the logos of the different companies (Champro, Champion, Pro Nine, UA, Diamond, etc.).

I didn't know that 3N2 now offered plate shoes. Those don't look too bad and I'd like to try a pair. Especially like the "all black" look! Last year I picked up a pair of the new Reebok plate shoes. While these are by far the most comfortable plate shoes I've ever worn, their "all black" version features a big white "REEBOK" on the back and a 1" square white MLB logo on the metatarsal procetector. I love the shoes...but hate the white!