View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Two officials, two opinions, one bad night.

Let me start by saying, I have worked with this partner about 2 weeks ago, not a nice partner (P) to work with, but a game with the same P tonight. Went in with mindset that P had a bad night last time.

Let the fun begin. MS G/B DH. Early in G game, both partner and I call a foul on B1 against A1. I go straight up, P goes up, then crossed for intentional. I have no issues with that. It was the following application of the penalties that was frustrating. I administer the 2 shots. P is at table after both have been shot, discussing things. I join at the table. P says that the intentional is recorded in the book as both a Personal and T. I told my partner that this is not correct. We get in a brief disagreement (which I regret) in front of the scorer's table. I drop my case as my P is adamant that it is a T. We agree to check the rule book at half.

We check it at half, and lo and behold, I was right. Rule 4-19-3 defines it as a personal or a technical (which is not the case here). I also point to 10-6-Penalty 4 and 7-5-4 for all that we need to rest this. P says that it is not the interpretation he reads.

Partner also is mechanically lacking in how switching in 2 man should go. On a foul going down court, we switch. Thanks for making me look stupid. On in-bounds plays, I don't know whether P is becoming trail or lead, table or opposite. Talk about frustrating.

In the B game, I called an OOB on a ball over the backboard. P calls me over and asks why I called it dead. I said it crossed over the backboard. P says it has to touch something. No more arguing, we go the correct way.

Player fouls out of the G game. Shooting 2 shots, A had a sub already at the table, I tell player and coach that it is the 5, player goes to bench, replacement comes in and I also let A sub in per 3-3-1-c-EXCEPTION.

I know I am not the best official, but I take great strides to know the rules to the best of my ability. When someone questions a ruling I have made that I know without the shadow of a doubt is correct, I take some offense. When you try and question half of my calls, I just get angry. I was ready to leave the gym if P had questioned another simple rule. I would never do this to the players as the game is for them, not for me.

Sorry for the long, vent-like post, but please tell me if I was mistaken in any of the rulings. I appreciate the feedback I get back from this board as I know there are strong officials on here.