View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:36pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Happened to me a few days ago:

9th grade boys game.

Home team coach is in "question every call" mode, and I eventually whacked him (maybe a bit prematurely, but I'm sure he would've gotten one eventually anyway).

My partner explains to him the seatbelt rule, and this coach then informs my partner that he can't sit down, because he has a bad back and sitting is difficult for him.

How would you handle this situation:
a) "Coach, the rules now require you to be seated, and they make no allowance for your back injury."
b) "Ok, coach, in that case you can remain standing, but you must stand at the end of your bench and not be walking back and forth in the coaching box"
c) " ". Move on with the game, whack him again, if/when he's up walking around.
d) "Coach, you should've considered that before you actions necessitated the techincal foul"

Ok, probably not D, except in my head.

A couple of additional pieces of information that you may wish to take into consideration:
1) This was in the first half of a 9A/9B doubleheader. This coach was the coach for both the 9A team and the 9B team.
2) There were no assistant coaches for this coach's team.
3) Home team was up by about 15 points when I whacked him, and they ended up winning by almost 40 points.
My uncle was in a back cast for the better part of 2 years, and many times again throughout his life, so I am empathetic to back problems.

I would have asked what the issue is (so I could then report it to my LA), and permitted him to stand, but behind his chair, and reminded him that he doesn't have the coaching box to roam. I'd also remind him that a second technical foul results in an ejection.

I would then report the situation to my LA and hope that he's required to file a medical exemption.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Mon Jan 31, 2011 at 08:37pm.