View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: POI after T

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Rule 10-14.6: After an intentional technical foul, the ball will be returned to play at the closest spot, rather than half court. Rationale: With this change, the ball will now be returned to play from the closest spot to the foul after all technical fouls. It is more consistent.

Chuck,
Is going to midcourt something new, or was that last year?
Darn punk, smart-aleck, kids. Make me go and actually read my rulebook. . . if I can find it. . . Ok, here it is. Blow the dust off it. . .

To be serious, mick, you must have kind of an old rule book. I even looked in last year's NCAA book, and the rule was the same last year as what I mentioned earlier. Intentional technical fouls (which are, by rule, dead ball non-flagrant contact fouls) are penalized by two FTs and possession at midcourt. The reference in the 2003 NCAA book is 10-14-1.

My confusion stems from the fact that the women still use the spot closest to where the foul occured for intentional T's. So in the game we're discussing, the officials were correct NOT to put the ball in at midcourt; however, they still should have given possession after the technical FTs to the team that was on the receiving end of the elbow.

Chuck