View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

I guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI

Actually, Rut, if you have watched the Big Ten (and other leagues, I imagine) over the years, you'd know that there have been refs who were afraid to make a tough call against the home team. And the willingness to make that tough call is what separates the best from the rest.

Stan I have been around the Big Ten all my life. I was born in the Michigan and grew up in Illinois. Never seen this "home call" as you claim. Especially when an official at that level are hired by the Conference, not by the "home school." They are evaluated by the Conference, not the "home school." They get hired and fired by the Conference, not the "home school." So why would an official be scared of the consequences of making the "home school" upset? I guess you seem to forget what happen in Cleveland in the past two years. Seems to me that the NFL officials were not concerned about the Cleveland fans with the Rudd situation this year and the "Instant Replay" situation against Jacksonville. I realize that this is the NFL, but I think the same things apply. You are not going to be a good official at that level being concerned about what the "fans" think.

Peace