View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I'd have a double flagrant personal foul as per case book play 10.4.5SitA. That's definitive and I don't know how anyone can deny it's existence.
Sure it exists, but so does:
10-3 PLAYER TECHNICAL
A player shall not:
ART. 10...Be charged with fighting
and
4-18 FIGHTING
Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as:
ART. 1 . . . An attempt to strike, punch or kick an opponent with a fist, hands, arms, legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made.

The case plays cited simply don't agree with the above rules covering fighting.

Rule 4-18 says that fighting is the "Attempt to strike". It says it can occur when the ball is dead or live. It says it doesn't matter if there is contact or not. So, we have fighting on the attempt to strike.

Rule 10-3 says that fighting is a T with no further qualification.

The case play cited came into existence in the timeframe when several poorly worded interpretations and case plays were implemented....ones that were inconsistent with the rules behind them and long standing history of how things were interpreted.

Given what is in the books right now, whether they are correct or not, there is enough there to support either conclusion....therefore, whichever type of foul an official calls is fine with me. The practical difference is minimal as in most cases, you're going to two or more people fighting and I'm tagging both of them with the same kind of foul since the acts will be at approximately the same time. And once you tag them both with the same kind of foul, there is no difference in the administration....no shots...POI.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Jan 27, 2011 at 07:40pm.