View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
In 5 to 10 years, it won't matter what NFHS thinks.

For several reason, some blatantly political and OT on this thread, the absolute top athletes in most sports will migrate to club teams, AAU teams, or Prep Schools, and they will play for the HS age, or under 19 yr. old National title, flushed with money from ESPN or FOX SPORTS.

The state associations will running state championships for second tier athletes and schools, except for FB, and that will change over time too. State associations, and even some sports like Wrestling or Golf will disappear from the HS sports scene entirely.

As we sink into a -POS European Social Democracy, our sports landscape will change into one modeling Europe too, where the top rich or perceived most talented people will get all the $$$, all the funding, and all the exposure. they will be fed into top colleges, or the college system will be replaced by a new Farm system like MLB has now.

Or, we will end up like China, where the Party picks and chooses those who show some aptitude for a game, sport or activity, and they will be schooled in that activity.

Pretty ugly ending for a system that served us, and children, well for a long, long time.
What's so ugly about that? Will unrelated adults be forbidding children to play games? Children will find ways to play with or without adult supervision, and once the current panic over pedophilia subsides they'll have plenty of adult supervision available too.

I see nothing but improvement by abolishing big-time varsity sports, at least at the college level. Why shouldn't the major leagues run their own development systems instead of their being tied to institutions of higher learning? Actually college in general is a racket these days, even those that have nothing to do with sports. People are going to college who have no business being there other than to pick up some increasingly trivial piece of paper. I know, because I taught them.

I don't see what any of the trend you see has to do with social democracy. If anything, the current system is propped up by social democratic tendencies (credentialism in hiring, tax support of schools) more than vice versa.