View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie_g2001 View Post
Situation is this; I am sure everyone has called a game with someone that you are not on the same page with. I worked a championship tournament and My partner and I were not on the same planet. He was calling all over the floor, and "Breathe on you" fouls. Anyway, At halftime, I tactfully said, and in a polite way, I said, "partner, If you would just slow down a bit and referee the result of the play, Some of the fouls you might not have to call. He got very Defensive and Actually got Upset and felt he was being talked down to. He actually made the comment that He hates how Officials do that and etc.
Maybe your partner just had a different concept of how much contact should be allowed. Maybe he also thought you were letting way too much go. If he had come to you first at the half and said "Partner, if you would just slow down a bit and referee the result of the play, you might get more of the fouls.", would you get defensive and upset and felt that you were being talked down to?

Think about it.

Every official has their own idea of how much contact should be allowed and what is a foul. Who decides which one.... the official who calls a tight game or the official that calls a loose game....is right? If I'm observing/evaluating and an official is consistent in his foul calling, what am I supposed to say to him?

Some officials just don't work well together because of different play-calling philosophies. There's not much you can do if you get a partner with opposite views except get through it. Smart assignors pick these things up and will try to keep you away from each other. And note, that doesn't mean that either official was wrong or a bad official. They're just not suited to work with each other.

JMO.