Thread: Vocal Coach
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Don't you do this on every call on every player during every game? You should NEVER take an individuals foul count into consideration when making your calls. To do so is a disservice to the other players and the game.

Favoritism is favoritism no matter how you try to rationalize it.
Please re-read my post. You are twisting it. I use a "4 fouls on a player" scenario to once again remind myself to hold my whistle. Yes, I try to hold my whistle all game, but when I know there are player(s) in foul trouble, it's a good time for a reminder. Haven't you ever called a foul and then thought, "you know, letting that go would probably have been better in this game?" I have. I don't know any officials who haven't. Nothing wrong with using a game situation to again remind myself and focus my concentration even more. That's just good preventative officiating in my book. It doesn't change what I consider a foul. We all make mistakes, but making a mistake on the 5th foul is magnified even more because I just disqualified a player.

If a time-out is called with 5 seconds left in a game, don't you go over to your partner and go over a few things to make sure you get things right at the end? Aren't you supposed to be doing all those things you talk about anyway? Yes, but reminders help us focus. Focus good. Loss of focus bad. :-)

Z

Z