View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:36pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
This happened to me Friday afternoon.

9th grade girls game, 2-whistle mechanics. A1 is fouled on a layup attempt. Shot does not go in. I make the foul call as the lead. I report the foul, take my position as the new trail. My partner mistakenly thinks the shot went it, says "one shot" to A1. A1 misses the shot, B grabs the rebound and starts a fast-break down the court.

All the while, I'm having a brain freeze. About 3 seconds later, B is about to attempt a layup, when suddenly the "OH #$@*, there should've been two shots" alarm goes off in my head. I pause for a second or two, B attempts the layup and misses, A rebounds, and I blow my whistle, stop play, and return A1 to the line to shoot her second free throw.

I know it got it right on the "correctable error" and within the proper time frame. But I'm not sure if I should've stopped play when I did.

So, when should I have actually stopped play?
a) as soon as I realized that we didn't award the second FT attempt? (Prior to B's layup attempt).
b) as soon as A secured possession after B's missed layup? (what I actually did)
c) wait for the next dead ball (successful try by either A or B, or violation or foul by either team)?
d) other (please specify)
Yes, the time frame is still valid to correct this error.

Stop the game as soon as you have knowledge. So, (A) is the answer.

Whenever I have this situation, which is rare to never, my philosophy is that I want to be sure that I get the call right if I'm going to kill the play, so I do take an extra heartbeat or two before stopping the game - so long as the CE time frame isn't threatened - just to be sure.

If in that extra heartbeat, B is in the habitual shooting motion, then I kill it as soon as the ball goes in, or the rebound is secured - otherwise I kill it right after the heartbeat.