View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 22, 2011, 02:54pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Two Firsts For Me

Doing 4 x 14UB Rec Ball games today. "Semi-competitive" league (depends what team your on).

I'm one of the more senior officials and they usually match me up with a semi-seasoned official (a kid willing to blow his whistle) and a relative newbie. Game three and I'm on my second set of partners.

Mid 1st half, my junior partner - TWEEEET, traveling. I watch him and something is just not right. Later in the half, same partner, TWEEEET, traveling. Huh? His hand signal is backward! He is moving his arms towards him as opposed to away from him. I've never seen that before. I talked to him about it and from then on, every time he called a foul, he would start one way and then do it correctly. It was funny! Anyone else ever seen that one?

Also, in that game a player goes to the line for two and as he's at the line he gets heckled by the League Director (LD) from the other end of the gym! Again, me. So, the LD is coaching the next game and I said coach, I've never seen a LD heckle a shooter. He told me he had that kid on his team for three yrs already and this yr he just missed him in the draft this year. He said it was a friendly jab - and was talking to the kids mom at the time....... But, a League Director? Sportsmanship? Again, a first for me.

Can't wait until next week......