View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good idea for you young pups. If I tried this at my age, fifty percent of the time we'd have 22 shooting the free throws, and 15 would have picked up a foul.

When I call a foul, especially if it's an off the ball foul, and I know that we're in the bonus, after giving my preliminary signals, I will point to the shooter and say, "Shooter", hoping that my partner will pick up the shooter.
I do this and if I'm close enough to the shooter I try to make eye contact with them and tell them they're shooting free throws, whether I'm the calling official or not.

A big part of this is court awareness and just slowing down. It takes a while to get a grasp of it. I was into my third year before I really got good at it. Now stuff like knowing if we're close to the bonus, finding the shooter, etc. comes easy for me.

The thing I hate is when I call the foul and then momentarily forget who I called the foul on. This usually happens when you have a PC foul or players on the floor and there is a scrum. I try to say the number of the player that fouled to myself as I'm going to the table.