View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I like notifying the captains before the jump. It's a relic that's still in the NFHS manual.

Also, if I have a real issue (if the game gets chippy), I wouldn't hesitate to talk to a captain. In football, I have the numbers written on my game card. I don't have such a device in basketball.

I know it may not be needed to know who the captains are for 10 years, but the one day when I'd like to use the captains to help settle a player or a game, it's nice to have that information available. It's simply a tool in a big toolbox.
Chippy games can explode quickly if not handled. To be honest, I ask any teammate to chill someone out or calm them down. I really don't know if they are a captain or not, just a teammate. If I need captains during a dead ball for some reason, a simple cattle call for captains and they come a running. Maybe I need to increase my game recollection to know who my captains are during the game to quickly call them and settle a game or player. I just don't see the use in knowing who my speaking captains. It implies that the other captains are not speaking and that they can be the only ones to speak on the team's behalf.

I understand in football that officials need specific answers from a team spokesperson on the field during play. In basketball, there are few instances that I need input from a captain to the point that I don't need to know who is the speaking captain. All in all, a moot point. I was on a fishing trip to get insight on the need to ask for dem speaking captains.