View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics issues include the following:

Plate stances. The old-school heel-toe, box, up-down squatting style that ASA teaches is a poor mechanic. The NCAA offers you many more comfortable options. I refuse to work ASA fastpitch for this very reason. It is too physically demanding, uncomfortable, and is just not the optimum way to call a game.

I know for awhile you weren't allowed to wear tan colored pads or silver frames on your mask, which would have knocked me out for consideration as well, although I think this was changed recently.

Base mechanics:

This continued insistence on "button-hooks" at all times and the refusal to let umpires us the "rim" mechanic. This is just plain dumb. It wastes energy and accomplishes NOTHING. I brought this up to Julie Johnson at a clinic and she would have none of it.

I brought this up to another staff member at a clinic (maybe even a pre-national one, I can't remember):

3-man crew, no runners on, batter hits a clean single. No umpire has chased. Why on earth does the 1B need to button-hook inside the diamond? You have help ahead at 2nd with the 3B inside the diamond. Your next responsibility as the 1B is to cover home if P goes to 3rd. There is absolutely no reason at all that 1B needs to "beat the batter-runner" inside here with a button hook. It wastes time and energy, and is just a goofy mechanic.

Two nationals ago I was reamed by the UIC for using the Gerry Davis, "hands-on-knees" base set stance. I had been using it all year, and it is very comfortable. There was no reason given other than "we don't do that here."

The fact that I couldn't use my normal routine in getting set for plays at 1B affected my comfort level, timing, and eventually my performance. Why? For no reason other than "we don't do that here."

My state UIC, who is a top level Division I umpire, was UIC at my last national. When discussing mechanics in the pre-tournament clinic, he chastised and ridiculed various NCAA mechanics when the were brought up, even though he himself USES THOSE VERY SAME MECHANICS when he is working a game. What is good enough for him is not, apparently, good enough for us, because our hats say ASA on them.